Re: Mutt Mail to List Fails

On Sun, Sep 07, 2008 at 14:24:41 -0400, Telemachus wrote:
> On Sun Sep 07 2008 @  1:53, Thomas H. George wrote:
> > I am sending this message from iceape.
>
> Apologies to all: I managed to miss this line in my first read. I still
> think it's ISP related and not Mutt itself, however.

iceape -> your ISP's smarthost

vs.

Mutt -> local postfix -> your ISP's smarthost

The email headers will be different for the two cases, even if both are
used on the same local machine, therefore one type of email can be
blocked while the other one gets through.

If you cannot or do not want to subscribe to debian-user due to the high
volume of list traffic , you can subscribe to

http://lists.debian.org/whitelist/

to improve the chances of your emails getting through. (As far as I
understand it, filtering is more aggressive if your "From:" address is
not subscribed to the mailing list you are posting to.)

You could also try to use another smtp client to post from Mutt, for
example msmtp, which can be installed and used in parallel to postfix.
If your version of mutt is new enough then you can also try its built-in
smtp engine:

set smtp_url="smtp[s]://USER:PASSWORD@your.isp.com"

If you do not want to put the username and/or the password into your
~/.muttrc then you can leave them out and you will be prompted for them
whenever necessary.

          Florian   |