Re: College Wifi - Problems with .pl file

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 4:50 AM, Tim Edwards <timothy.edwards.ext@siemens.com> wrote:
So what is actually in the login.pl file that your college's webserver sends to firefox? Is it perl code (presumably their actual login script)? Or is it HTML? or is it blank?

I have heard a rumour that if the webserver doesn't send the right Content-type header (eg. Content-type: text/html) IE will just assume it's text/html and will display the page as normal. Whereas firefox will  decide it doesn't know what the data is (could be binary or anything) and consider it to be a file to download. But that is only a vague idea I have - no idea if it's even close to correct.

Tim

No, actually, that sounds about right. Oh, and as for the file...

Firefox says "Download login.pl?". Half the time it downloads home.html, and half the time it downloads login.pl, both files blank as /dev/null. I guess it's a problem with Firefox, then?