Re: Iceweasel S L O W to start when no Internet connection

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 4:59 PM, Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:
Philip wrote:
maybe set the homepage to a local file instead of an Internet site?

regards, Philip

Ron Johnson wrote:
On 09/04/08 12:36, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
On 2008-09-04 19:10, Ron Johnson wrote:
On 2008-09-04 16:36, Patrick Wiseman wrote:
Iceweasel takes forever (minutes :) to start when I have no
immediate Internet connection.  That's very annoying, because, at
my place of work, I can't have an Internet connection until I've
logged in through a web page. There doesn't seem to be an option
to start Iceweasel off line.  This is a recent change in its
behavior.  Any thoughts?  (I'm very tempted just to go with the
latest Firefox, and bypass the whole Iceweasel thing entirely,
but I prefer to use Debian packaging where possible.)
On my lenny, I get a tick box option for offline start, if I start
by $ iceweasel -ProfileManager

(as has always been the case since ... I don't remember when.
Netscape 4?)
File->"Work Offline"
OP asked for an option *before* the start. The File menue is only
available after start.

-ProfileManager presents a little box before the start of the main
program.
It doesn't carry over?

Since time immemorial I copy over onto every new system:
mozilla-browser/localstart.php

which I got from Debian someplace, sometime. Which I modified to show what system is booting, but avoiding the network + set as homepage.

You want that?

That sounds as if it could be very useful, although I'm thinking that my problem has to do with the fact that I always have tabs open on start up.  I don't want to forego that functionality if it can be helped.  I'm thinking a script of some kind that would get me logged in, and so on the 'net, before Iceweasel starts up.

Thanks to all for the words of wisdom and advice.

Patrick