Re: Challenge - Getting Debian Working on a Pair of Real Old Laptops

On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 09:58 -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> you may improve the ultimate installed experience by rolling your own
> kernel with just the bare minimum you need for these lappies.

That sounds like a good idea.  So, what do I need to do my own custom
kernel?

Also, where can I get the 3c579 PCMCIA NIC module?  I took a look at
modconf, and that is not one of the options.  Then again, I didn't see
any PCMCIA opetions there.  And apparently, modules aren't available for
install via apt-get either.

Anyway, so far, I have been able to get a bare etch system booted up
with kernel 2.4.27.  On my build box, everything works fine (except for
an inability for modprobe to find psmouse (wtf?  I thought that was
pretty standard across the board)

Now, when I transfer the hard drive back to one of the laptops, PCMCIA
services fails to start (Can't locate module ds, whatever that is), and
hotplug doesn't find it either.  I have pcmcia-cs and pcmciautils
installed, but apparently those are for the 2.6 kernels.  What is the
equivalent for 2.4?