Re: Do Debian's users care about the AGPL?

On 09/03/2008 12:34 AM, Chris Burkhardt wrote:
Mumia W. wrote:
I care. The AGPL is dangerous to Opensource. It is too aggressive and too restrictive. As Opensource becomes more dominant, software-as-a-service (SAAS) will become the primary way for people to make money through software. The AGPL threatens to cut off Opensource from its primary means of acquiring income and maintaining relevance.

How does requiring source code be available do anything to hurt the open source movement?

Companies and people that protect and promulgate OSS withdraw.

I'm pretty sure software-as-a-service doesn't mean "proprietary enhancements to open source software that we don't want to contribute back to the community for competitive/business reasons".

In some situations, that's exactly what it is.

I am in favor of Opensource because it allows me to be free and to make money, but if Opensource prohibited me from making money, I'd be against it.

If you can only make money when you aren't required to make any changes to the source available, how can you claim to be participating in Opensource?

By itself, that isn't participating in Opensource, but companies who have proprietary interests in OSS invariably do much more than that. While the most profitable improvements in the software will be kept private, the companies will provide security and many less-profitable patches for free. They also very often provide technical support and bandwidth.

The whole goal of the GPL was to prevent companies from taking other people's code, enhancing it, then profiting without sharing those enhancements. The loop hole

There is no "loophole"; it's called "vendor SaaS freedom."

in that are things like web services where the binary isn't actually distributed. The AGPL closes that loop hole by requiring that source code changes be made available to users of such services.

- Chris

That was not the goal of the GPL, or the FSF would have removed vendor SaaS freedom from GPLv3.