Re: Do Debian's users care about the AGPL?

>>> Yes, that's the spirit of Free software that the GPL and AGPL tries to
>>> enforce.
>>     AGPL, yes, which is where it oversteps the bounds.  The GPL no.  If the
>> GPL did it there would be no need for the AGPL.  And sorry, but when I program
>> a custom application on my machine for my use and you, in visiting my home sit
>> down and use that application on my computer does not mean you're a user of
>> it.  My machine, my application, my code, not distributed, period.  The moment
>> that distinction is lost is the moment my code will probably migrate to a
>> "less free" license because it is running roughshod over my freedoms as a
>> developer.
>
> Understandable. Fortunately, the AGPL uses the wording "remotely through a
> computer network (if your version supports such interaction)," which implies
> that you have intentionally made access to your custom application possible over
> the network. It doesn't require you to do anything in the case of me entering
> your home and using your program on your development machine.

I just realized that the "remotely through a computer network" doesn't pertain
to any situation where the user is sitting in front of the machine (like slot
machines and ATMs). So that renders many of our examples moot. Hopefully that
makes you feel a little better about the scope of the AGPL.

- Chris Burkhardt