Re: Xorg cannot use non-native resolutions

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 15:50:49 +0200
"David Banks" <amoebae@gmail.com> wrote:

> [massive list of mode details, some with sensible attributes, some all
> zeroes: see below for example]
> (WW) I810(0): config file hsync range 51.4286-56.8421kHz not within
> DDC hsync ranges.
> (II) I810(0): Generic Monitor: Using hsync range of 51.43-56.84 kHz

I'd have to see your full logfile to be sure but it looks to me like it
is not autodetecting your monitor due to DDC not working with the
laptop screen.  Have you tried setting horizontal and vertical sync?

E.g.

I think this would specifically give you 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768 and
1440x900:

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"Configured Monitor"
	HorizSync	28.8,36,46.1,54
	VertRefresh	60
EndSection

Although the 'extra' time for some timing single might make that fail

or, which should work for anything between 640x480 and 1440x900

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"Configured Monitor"
	HorizSync	28.8-56.84
	VertRefresh	60
EndSection

Be ready to kill X quickly if those timings are wrong (unless you
monitor is just smart and refuses to use rates that it can't handle).

DISCLAIMER: I don't have a laptop; I don't know if these setting can
cause permanent damage.  You have been warned.

Regards,

Daniel

--
And that's my crabbing done for the day.  Got it out of the way early,
strangle cute bunnies or something.   -- Michael Devore