Re: partitions

On Wed,03.Sep.08, 15:50:42, Mark Grieveson wrote:
> Hello.  When debian first installs, it gives the option of separating
> the home directory (and some other directories) into a separate
> partition.  I did not choose this option, and instead went for the
> recommended newbie option of everything in one partition.  However, now
> I think it would be a good idea to separate stuff.  Is there a way to
> rerun that aspect of the install, or, if not, another way to do this?

This is how you could do it to separate /home (one of the first
candidates to consider):

1.  create the new partition
1a. optionally label it (recommended if you have multiple disks)
2.  boot from some live CD
3.  copy everything in /home to the new partition
4.  create a new line in fstab to mount the partion at /home
5.  boot with the new config and look for problems
6.  if everything is ok boot again from a live CD
7.  delete all contents of /home (the dir not the partition) to reclaim
    the space

This method should be safe also for /usr and /var though for a separate
/home you just need to make sure no user (except root) is logged in and
for /var switching to runlevel 1 should be enough.

Be careful when calculating the needed space for partitions or you could
run into trouble.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)