Re: Cron Not Working On Etch

On Friday 29 August 2008, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> On Friday 29 August 2008, Mumia W.. wrote:
> > On 08/29/2008 11:29 AM, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> > > I recently had a system drive crash on a Sarge system, so when I
> > > put in a new drive, I installed Etch (also figuring that will
> > > make upgrading to Lenny easier).  Everything seems to have gone
> > > well, except for one point: Cron is not behaving well.
> > > [...]
> >
> > See if the permissions are correct in /var/spool/cron/crontabs .
> > The directory should have the permissions drwx-wx--T
> > (root:crontab), and the files within should be readable and
> > writable only to the user.
> >
> > HTH
>
> Thanks!
>
> The permissions are correct.  I haven't touched the directory or any
> files at all.  I've used crontab to add or edit events.
>
> It's working now, but that's after adding the events again.  It could
> stop in a few days, like it has before.  I just have no idea why it
> won't consistently do jobs for this user.

Yep.  Stopped again.

I read in the package description that cron can be disabled for some
users.  Where would I check on this?

I also don't see any logs for cron.  I've created an entry in my crontab
to echo the date into a file and that works, but other jobs are not
working.

Is there any way to have cron keep a log so I can be sure it's at least
trying to run my programs?

Any other suggestions for tracking this problem down?

Hal