Re: OT: SecurDisc Technology on DVD Drives

Sven Joachim wrote:

> If you use the securdisc feature, the discs will not be readable under
> non-Windows operating systems.  It is probably not dangerous to use such
> a drive as long as you don't use Nero for burning your data.  But I
> suppose that these drives will come with an OEM version of Nero (what is
> their "extra value" without one?), and I'd rather choose not to pay a
> single cent for useless proprietary customer-lock-in software.  That's
> up to you, though.
>
> Sven

I have bought DVD burners earlier and they did come with one of those
"free software CDs". They were tossed out and I have never used them
because 1)no software for Linux, and 2) I already have the software I
need in my Debian installation.

>From their website it looks like it doesn't matter on Linux as the
functionality does not work on Linux.