Re: rkhunter on Etch

On Thu,28.Aug.08, 22:27:04, Sam Kuper wrote:

[...]

> Okay, so if I understand you correctly, a backport is a kind of refactoring:
> the overt functionality doesn't change, but the underlying functionality
> does (the refactored code is more secure, or less memory intensive, or
> what-have-you depending on the nature of the fix). I hadn't previously quite
> been sure that backports really are intended to *not change the overt
> functionality*.

Say package foo has a security issue and upstream is at 1.4 and Debian
still has 1.3. Upstream will most likely release 1.4.1 to fix the issue
(which could be just a few lines of code) and maybe some others small
bugfixes that were pending. Debian instead will look for the exact
change for the security fix and apply it to the 1.3 version. In most
cases it will not even need adaptation for 1.3 so they can just apply
the specific patch. However, they will ignore whatever *other* changes
have happened between 1.3 and 1.4 and also between 1.4 and 1.4.1.
Unstable will of course get 1.4.1 ASAP.

> > It looks like your environment requires you to use new features in the
> > latest version of this package so you should just use that package from
> > lenny - mixing one or 2 packages from lenny isn't going to cause any harm.
> >
> This is an interesting suggestion, given that near the start of this thread,
> one of Debian's rkhunter package maintainers recommended against this
> approach, and advised using his unofficial rkhunter backport instead.
>
> So now I'm confused: which is the better approach for me to take? Also, why
> would a maintainer be maintaining unofficial backports instead of (or as
> well as) official ones?

volatile is suited for packages that change *often* and will become
unusable unless you upgrade. A good example is an antivirus software and
its definition files. Even if you upgrade the definitions you also have
to upgrade the software itself in order for it to detect new viruses.

I'm not sure rkhunter qualifies for volatile, but you should be able to
find the requirements somewhere on the 'net.

Making backports.org an official Debian service would solve issues like
this, but I guess manpower is lacking...

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)