Re: aptitude --purge

EVL> jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:
>> I find no way in aptitude to
>> # aptitude install telnet-ssl
>> Reading package lists... Done  <- Get rid of these messages, and
>> The following NEW packages will be installed:
>> telnet-ssl
>> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>> telnet{a} <- also purge instead of removing. I.e., nothing like
>> APT::Get::Purge. The undocumented --purge doesn't work like apt-get's.
>> One must follow with a
>> # aptitude purge ~c
>> to clean up the mess.

EVL> You are not right. Purge is {p}, not {a}.

Yes, I'm saying I want a {p} but all I can get is an {a}. This is bug
486454 apparently, which is quite easy to reproduce by installing back
and forth telnet and telnet-ssl back and forth back and forth.

There is no working -o option that will allow you to install and purge
the residue in one single command. You need to clean up the config
files with a second aptitude command. Note, I only use the command
line and not the curses interface.