re: LiloCan't Boot vmlinuz-2.6.26-1-amd64

Replying from Mutt has failed - damn nuisance - so I have patched together the messages and reposted from iceape. The new problem is not Mutt but something related to Postfix. I'll try to track it down tomorrow.

Tom
On 08/29/2008 02:03 PM, Thomas H. George wrote:
> dist-upgrade installed vmlinuz-2.6.26-1-amd64, ran mkinitrd and lilo
> which reported two warnings (mbr on different harddrive, assuming LBA32
> addressing) but no fatal problems.   Attempted boot to new kernel ended
> in kernel panic.
>

> I confess the same was true of vmlinuz-2.6.25-2-amd64 so I saveed
> vmlinuz-2.6.24-1-amd64 which lilo can boot with no problems.  I had
> hoped the problem would go away with the next kernel image upgrade but
> it hasn't.
>
> Perhaps switching to grub would resolve this problem?  If need be I will
> try to switch but as I have  been happy with lilo until now it would be
> nice to be sure this will resolve the problem.
>
> Tom

Make sure you've specified the initrd correctly. I never gotten an
initrd (initial root disk) to work with LILO; however, you may succeed
since LILO claims to support this. Perhaps you need to post your
lilo.conf so others can help you.

Indeed the problem appears to be with kernels as kernel panic occurs
after a message that no ramdisk is found at 0.  During the dist-upgrade
mkinitrd is automatically run for each of the three kernel images
mentioned above.  When the system is booted with any of the three kernel
images the initial installation of the kernel completes with no
difficulty.  It is after this that the newer kernels cannot find the ram
disk.  The vmlinuz-2.6.24-1-amd64 kernel does not have this problem and
completes the boot up successfully.

Tom