Re: KDE desktop unlock fails due to authentication failure

Yannick Effinger wrote:
>> I'm using a daily updated debian/unstable system with KDE desktop. Since
>> about 3-4 week I can no longer succesfully unlock the desktop with my
>> password after auto-lockup (msg: "unlock failed.."). So after
>> auto-lockup I have to switch to a text VT and kill the kdesktop_lock
>>

>> Hi Bruno,
>>
>> have a look at the files /etc/shadow and /sbin/unix_chkpwd. The owner
>> should be "root" for the user, and "shadow" for the group.

Hi Yannick,
great advise - /etc/shadow group was set to root,
after changing it to shadow desktop unlocking works again!

Thanks a lot !

Do you have any background information,
eg. which package(s) are responsible for /etc/shadow?
Should they check for proper file permissions during update?

The affected system images were very old
I had them initially set up at woody times
and ever upgraded since on the sid tree..

WR,
Bruno