Changing icon theme crashes Nautilus

I'm not exactly sure how it happened, but now whenever I attempt to
change the icon theme from the standard Gnome set, Nautilus locks up.
I can killdashnine it, but it won't revive until I change the icon
theme back to the Gnome icons.

When I go to gnome-appearance-properties, none of the icons have a
preview, and some global themes also don't have previews (like the
Gorilla theme). If I select one of those global themes without a
preview, everything that uses GTK icons crashes, including Nautilus.
If I change the icon theme from the default, Nautilus crashes.

I tried reinstalling gnome-themes and gnome-themes-extras, hoping the
install scripts would regenerate some cache or such that is missing
and is crashing Nautilus, but I had no such luck.

I tried a new user, and I was able to change the icon theme, so either
something in my /home or my /tmp files is making it impossible for me
to change the icon theme, but there must be a deeper problem somewhere
since the new user didn't see icon previews either in
gnome-appearance-properties.

Help?

Thanks in advance,
- Jordi G. H.