Radeon 7000 and xrandr

Hi guys,

The issues with my move to 64bit just doesn't stop. Well, this is the last serious one.

I have a Radeon 7000 (R100) which uses the radeon_drv.o driver (not fglrx). I have two identical LCD panels hooked up to it, on connected to the VGA port on the left, one connected to DVI on the right. Before I used MergedFB to get one big desktop that's hardware accelerated (2D and 3D). This worked great.

Now MergedFB has been removed from X, so I have to use xrandr. Problem is, xrandr just doesn't recognise that there is something connected to the DVI port:

# xrandr -q
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1280 x 1024, maximum 1280 x 1200
VGA-0 connected 1280x1024+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 0mm x 0mm
  1280x1024      59.9*+
  1280x800       60.0
  1280x768       60.0
  1024x768       60.0
  800x600        60.3
  640x480        59.9
DVI-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
S-video disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

I have tried every command I could find to tell it to activate it - no joy. I tried the gui tools (grandr and arandr) too - they also don't acknowledge the presence of a second screen.

Does anyone have this combination running succesfully? Is there something special I have to do to make it work?

thanks
--kj