Re: Etch netinstl. problem starting kwrite, synaptic, gedit.etc

> On Sunday 24 August 2008 23:37, debian@waysoft.com wrote:
>> On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 23:16:46 +0200
>>
>> Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m97pp@aliceadsl.fr> wrote:

>> > When I try the command sux, I just get a "command not found".
>> >
>> > Thanks for the reply though. I'm game for trying anything at the
>> > moment, and all replies/suggestions, no matter how off the edge, are
>> > welcome.
>> >
>> > Nigel.
>>
>> Have you tried apt-get install xorg
>>
>> jeff
>
> Well sux plus password works ok, but I've never had to use sux before on
> any
> distro.
>
> I did an apt-get install xorg, which pulled in a few more packages, and
> apart
> from some complaints about finding directories for fonts, which didn't
> appear
> to exist, but no change when running su, plus password, and kwrite, for
> example, which stiill failed to open.
>
> I also tried another suggestion, as below.
>
> <quote>
>>
> the basic problem is that you are launching these programs as root, but
> your desktop is running as your user. So after su'ing run "export
> DISPLAY=localhost:0" and as a user run "xhost localhost".
>
> The export command sets the DISPLAY variable to your local machine, this
> variable is how X apps figure out what X server to connect to. The xhost
> command allows programs running on your local machine to connect to your
> desktop.
> <end quote>
>
> I don't think I made any typos.
>
> Having done an apt-get install xorg, and also the export stuff above, I
> still
> can't just simply su, plus password, and bring up kwrite for example.
>
> This is how things are at present, and hand written. Excuse any typos
> please.
>
> djmons@debian: ~$ su
> Password:
> debian: /home/djmons# kwrite
> Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
> kwrite: cannot connect to X server :0.0
> debian: /home/djmons#
>
> Any suggestions welcome, as usual.
>
> Nigel.

On my Ubuntu laptop, just su'ing, no dash, works as you describe. Send the
output of env after you su. On Debian 3.0, su'ing without the dash also
works as you describe.

I can't get 4.0 installed because it doesn't recognize my ps2 keyboard. So
I can't test the behavior of 4.0. Perhaps there is some new secuity dealie
that changes the default behavior. I downloaded the latest testing CD last
night, If it works I'll let you know how it su's.