Re: Etch -> Lenny: Problem list on Thinkpad T60p

On 2008-08-25 21:06 +0200, Kumar Appaiah wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 08:01:05PM +0200, Claus Fischer wrote:
>> 3. Emacs
>> ********
>>
>> a) Colors
>>    Emacs now apparently also uses colors when running in an xterm.
>>    However, it doesn't set the background color. That makes for
>>    some particularly unreadable
>
> Is this in spite of the presence of (set-background-color "...") and
> (set-foreground-color "...") present in the .emacs, or have you let
> Emacs guess automatically? It is my assumption that those who would
> want uniform Emacs colours irrespective of terminals would set these.

Apparently set-background-color and set-foreground-color have no effect
in text-only terminals.  And AFAIK Emacs uses the TERM environment
variable to determine whether it should use dark or bright colors for
font-locking.  This is also a problem when you use Emacs in putty, which
sets TERM=xterm but uses a black background by default.

Sven