apt-get upgrade issue and Debiantools.

Today I tried to do an `apt-get upgrade` on our secondary nameserver, and
it died with an error when trying to upgrade Debiantools:

Preparing to replace debianutils 2.8.4 (using
.../debianutils_2.30_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement debianutils ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/debianutils_2.30_i386.deb
(--unpack):
 trying to overwrite `/usr/sbin/add-shell', which is also in package passwd
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
 /var/cache/apt/archives/debianutils_2.30_i386.deb

Doing an `apt-get remove debiantools` to prepare for a reinstall appears
to be very dangerous, and would also remove many other packages. Apt
reminds me of this fact before it lets me do something so stupid. Is there
some other way around this issue? It's important to get this update done.