Exim4 Start Problem

I recently started working on configuring my exim4 under Sid
and started getting failures when attempting to restart the
daemon.  I added shell traces to /etc/init.d/exim4 and get the
following:

muse:/etc/exim4# /etc/init.d/exim4 start
Starting MTA:+ case ${QUEUERUNNER} in
+ start_daemon -p /var/run/exim4/exim.pid /usr/sbin/exim4 -bd -q30m '' '' ''
+ local force nice pidfile exec i
+ force=0
+ nice=0
+ pidfile=/dev/null
+ OPTIND=1
+ getopts fn:p: opt
+ case "$opt" in
+ pidfile=/var/run/exim4/exim.pid
+ getopts fn:p: opt
+ shift 2
+ '[' /usr/sbin/exim4 = -- ']'
+ exec=/usr/sbin/exim4
+ shift
+ '[' 0 = 1 ']'
+ '[' /var/run/exim4/exim.pid ']'
+ /sbin/start-stop-daemon --start --nicelevel 0 --quiet --exec /usr/sbin/exim4 --oknodo --pidfile /var/run/exim4/exim.pid -- -bd -q30m '' '' ''
exim: incompatible command-line options or arguments
muse:/etc/exim4# ls -Fla /etc/init.d/ex*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 6516 2008-08-24 17:15 /etc/init.d/exim4*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 6502 2008-01-17 10:20 /etc/init.d/exim4.orig*
muse:/etc/exim4# dpkg -l exim\*
||/ Name                          Version                       Description
+++-=============================-=============================-==========================================================================
pn  exim                          <none>                        (no description available)
pn  exim-doc                      <none>                        (no description available)
pn  exim-doc-html                 <none>                        (no description available)
un  exim-tls                      <none>                        (no description available)
ii  exim4                         4.69-2                        meta-package to ease Exim MTA (v4) installation
ii  exim4-base                    4.69-2                        support files for all Exim MTA (v4) packages
ii  exim4-config                  4.69-2                        configuration for the Exim MTA (v4)
un  exim4-config-2                <none>                        (no description available)
un  exim4-daemon-custom           <none>                        (no description available)
pn  exim4-daemon-heavy            <none>                        (no description available)
pn  exim4-daemon-heavy-dbg        <none>                        (no description available)
ii  exim4-daemon-light            4.69-2                        lightweight Exim MTA (v4) daemon
pn  exim4-daemon-light-dbg        <none>                        (no description available)
pn  exim4-dbg                     <none>                        (no description available)
pn  exim4-doc-html                <none>                        (no description available)
pn  exim4-doc-info                <none>                        (no description available)
un  exim4-localscanapi-1.0        <none>                        (no description available)
un  exim4-localscanapi-1.1        <none>                        (no description available)
un  eximdoc4-html                 <none>                        (no description available)
un  eximdoc4-info                 <none>                        (no description available)
pn  eximon                        <none>                        (no description available)
pn  eximon4                       <none>                        (no description available)
muse:/etc/exim4#
--

May the LORD God bless you exceedingly abundantly!

Dave Craig

"'So the universe is not quite as you thought it was.
 You'd better rearrange your beliefs, then.
 Because you certainly can't rearrange the universe.'"

--from _Nightfall_  by Asimov/Silverberg