(Solved) Re: Turning off touchpad "scroll"

On Thursday 21 August 2008, Curt Howland was heard to say:
> But now, after the change in X where most of the specific
> configuration options are autodetected, I'm back to having "scroll"
> areas.

Ok, here's the solution:

I had to add back the Server Layout section, as well as the Synaptics
Touchpad section, into the new minimalist autoconfigured xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Synaptics Touchpad"
        Driver          "synaptics"
        Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
        Option          "Protocol"              "auto-dev"
        Option          "VertEdgeScroll"        "false"
        Option          "HorizEdgeScroll"       "false"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "Default Layout"
        Screen          "Default Screen"
        InputDevice     "Generic Keyboard"
        InputDevice     "Synaptics Touchpad"
EndSection

so that the generic mouse would not be used. Without adding the Server
Layout section, X always chooses the generic mouse, even if the
Generic Mouse section is commented out.

Unlike more recent touch pads, my 5-year old laptop has a smallish
touchpad, so I continually ran into the scroll areas, causing
switching between tabs in Konqueror, or bringing up many minimized
applications if the mouse was over the task list.

Hooray! So there are three things I must add to the xorg.conf:
Synaptics Touchpad section, Server Layout section,
and "Driver "nvidia"" to the Device section. But it is still a much,
much more simplified xorg.conf than it was, that's for sure.

Thanks to both of you for suggesting trains of inquiry,

Curt-

- --
Treason! http://blog.mises.org/archives/007926.asp