Re: compatibility

On Thursday 21 August 2008 21:43, Kenn Bannerman wrote:
> I'm looking at various Linux versions but none seem to indicate whether
> they are compatible with certain software programs such as:

You mean distributions, I assume.

> AutoCAD
> Adobe Photoshop et al
> SoundForge

These are software built for Microsoft Windows and will not run on linux
natively. For these programs to work on linux you'll need the software called
wine. Check out http://winehq.org. Wine can be installed in Debian GNU/Linux
easily. I recommend the wine package that's mentioned in the winehq website.
For compatibility of specific programs check http://appdb.winehq.org .

On another note there are free software alternatives for many knows Windows
software.

I don't know about AutoCAD. Can anyone recommend anything?

Photoshop can be replaced by The GIMP in some cases.

For SoundForge... There is at least one good free sound editor for Linux.
Don't remember.

--
Shachar Or | שחר אור
http://ox.freeallweb.org/