RE: Which --delete* to Use in 'rsync'

The during or after options should be a bit faster because rsync already knows what to delete and doesn't have to scan for changes, but especially after may cause problems if a directory changes into a file or the other way round. I don't know how rsync handles such cases, the option should probably be combined with force. Also, deleting the files before the transfer reduces the space required for the operation and reduces the risk of running out of space. On the other hand, if for some reason the transfer fails, you still have valid copies of the files on the receiving end. Just my thoughts on this.