RE: Which USB stick for Debian root filesystem

I'm using Sandisk Cruzer Contour sticks for this purpose (with our firewall hosts for example). They're quite durable and fast.
USB sticks generally have problems when it comes to many write cycles (shouldn't fail within such a short time though, mean time between failure is about one million writes per cell iirc). Anything that causes a lot of writes shouldn't be directly on the stick if possible. E.g. /var/log can be placed in a ramdisk as well.