Re: Connecting two computers using an ethernet cable

Celejar wrote:
On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 08:05:35 -0600
Rick Morneau <ram@eskimo.com> wrote:

I have two computers that I would like to transfer files
between.  One runs Debian Etch r3 and the other runs
Fedora Core 2.  They both have ethernet boards.

Can I just connect them with an ethernet cable and run
some program or other to transfer data between them?

Yes.  You'll need either a crossover cable or a switch / hub and
two patch cables.

These days most ethernet cards will autodetect and adapt to crossover or straight cable. Configure ethernet on both machines with static adresses. Pick any that you want, but make sure that they are two different adresses and on the same net. Something like:
---/etc/network/interfaces on machine 1:---

iface eth0 inet static
     address 192.168.0.1
     netmask 255.255.255.0
---/etc/network/interfaces on machine 2:---

iface eth0 inet static
     address 192.168.0.2
     netmask 255.255.255.0

Then do ifup eth0 on the two machines. run ping <the other machines ip-adress> to test.
Check manual-pages interfaces(5) and ifup(8).

Then on to setting up sshd, nfs, samba or ftp to transfer files. In other words: be prepared to spend some time if you have not done this before. You will learn a lot of usefull stuff though.