openssl Vs perl encode

Hi all,

I am sure that this is more of a security question and does not pertain to 'debian', please advice me to re-route this mail to appropriate list if you are offended.

I am trying to encode using base64 to get data for SMTP authentication which i am experimenting upon. I stumbled upon this issue. I am not sure why this is happening.

 Say the text to be encoded is  "help@base.com"

 $ perl
use MIME::Base64;
print encode_base64("help@base.com");
aGVscC5jb20=
$ echo "help@base.com" | openssl base64
aGVscEBiYXNlLmNvbQo=

why are these two different ? Are'nt they supposed to be same ?

--
Bhasker C V
Registered Linux user: #306349 (counter.li.org)