Re: Upgrading Hard Drives

On Fri,15.Aug.08, 06:41:06, Martin McCormick wrote:

[...]

> 	The a command in fdisk says to toggle a boot flag. When
> I make a Linux partition and then mkfs -text3, what state is
> that flag in? I looked at the known good disk and the new one
> and fdisk reported the same information except for size.

AFAIK grub doesn't care about the boot flag (DOS and Windows 9x used to
care about it; you could use it to fake a dual-boot system)

> 	I plan to use dar to put the old system on to the new
> drive. Will that preserve all the special files?

I like rsync. If you do it from a live CD it will copy only files
actually on disk, not the ones created dynamically by e.g. udev.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)