Re: [Debian-User] Debian + non ose virtualBox

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 1:48 AM, Philipp Hübner <debalance@arcor.de> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Javier Vasquez schrieb:
>> Yes I did.  I can see in the devices tab of virtualbox the usb
>> devices, but they're always grayed...  I also included filters
>> (automatically picked BTW by virtualbox), but that doesn't help a
>> thing.
>

> I think the problem are the rights within /proc/bus/usb/ or similar.
> When I wanted to use USB in the guest, I had to 'chown -R a+rw/ the
> folder to get it working.
> There might be a better way to get this done, because I think this might
> be a security risk, but at least it worked for me.
>
> Regards,
> Philipp

This did the trick for USB devices...  But I don't know why modifying
/etc/udev/rules.d/91-permissions.rules so that the devices are loaded
as:

# usbfs-like devices
SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device",	MODE="0664", GROUP="usbusers"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", \
				MODE="0664", GROUP="usbusers"

Where the user starting virtualBox is included in usbusers, didn't
work.  I made variants, like using vboxusers, and changing 664 to 666,
and nothing worked...  Like this rule never took place, :(...

At least now there's a way to make USB devices available under the
guest, :(.  Bad thing is that virtualBox need to be launched after the
permissions are OK, otherwise it won't ever recognize the device,
meaning, dynamic plugging the USB devices is NOT supported...

Finally, I'm still missing folders sharing.  This one id kind of
weird, since it's supposed I should get it easy with the guest
additions software...

Thanks,

--
Javier