Re: Two computers thrash soon after boot -- how to stop it?

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 04:28:11PM -0400, Ken Heard wrote:
> One of these computers is a desktop.  From a cold boot it appears to
> load the operating system without incident -- as far as I can tell --
> right to the kdm login manager.  Once a user name and password are
> entered it loads KDE in about 5-10 seconds.

[snip]

Can I suggest break down you problem into smaller pieces, start up you
box in single user mode and slowly start services one at a time till you
can work out what is causing the thrashing !  also you might want to
look at magic key combo, sysreq it can help in times like this. Another
trick have a ssh session open on the machine from another box so you
have a command line available to diagnose the problem.

It could be that the thrashing could be something as silly as a updatedb
running each day ?