Re: No sound problems on Intel board

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 19:29:19 +0200
Aniruddha <mailing_list@orange.nl> wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 10:21 -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:
> >

> >     Sometime over the last few days I lost all sound on my system. Its
> > an intel board - audio apps tell me they can't open the sound device,
> > but when the system boots I hear a pop in the speakers as the drivers
> > are loaded.
> >
> > here's the relevant output of lspci -v
> >

> > 00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER
> > (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02) Subsystem: Intel
> > Corporation Device e001 Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0,
> > IRQ 17 Memory at ffa7f800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]
> > 	Memory at ffa7f400 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
> > 	Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
> > 	Kernel driver in use: Intel ICH
> > 	Kernel modules: snd-intel8x0
> >
> > Its a Sid system, up to date.
> > Where should I start looking, as sound used to work with no problems.
> >

> Have you tried running 'alsaconf'?

  Yes I did - it went through its routine and promised me I'd end up with
a functioning sound system. I didn't. I really don't understand the "
can't open audio device" ( Alsa default) message. There are no error
messages during the boot, except one which says aumix won't touch the
settings because it detects alsa config ( or word to that effect).

I have since discovered aplay will play wav files....
this is the output of aplay -l

card 0: ICH5 [Intel ICH5], device 0: Intel ICH [Intel ICH5]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: ICH5 [Intel ICH5], device 4: Intel ICH - IEC958 [Intel ICH5 -
IEC958] Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

I'm stuck.

- --