What is the best way to deal with changing device names in Debian?

Regularly my hard disk device names change ( e.g. from sdc to sdh to sdb
etc). When this happens it becomes impossible to boot.

To prevent this from happening I 've added 'disk/by id' to fstab
(because the disks uuid were also changing) and 'boot from uuid' to my
menu.lst I wonder:

-What is the best way to prevent the device names change from happening?
-If it happens what is the best way to quickly fix this problem?

Regards,

Aniruddha