Re: rsync backup to ext3-formatted usb flash drive?

On Monday 11 August 2008 23:25, Brian Wells wrote:

> I'm looking at an alternative utility, svn-backup-dumps, in the same
> package.  I could do ~800 full backups, or many more incremental backups
> with a full backup here and there, before running out of space.  That
> would only write most blocks once or twice, and once it filled up I
> could erase old backups with only one write and reuse it, right?  (If I
> do this, should I reformat to FAT so the controllers won't be confused?)

If you're worried about not confusing the controllers, you could create a vfat
fs normally in the device and then make a file in it, like
 dd if=/dev/zero of=/media/usbdisk/ext3.fs bs=1M count=4000
and then make an ext3 filesystem in that file, like
 mkfs.ext3 -L my_backup_fs /media/usbdisk/ext3.fs
You will be able to mount this file with the -o loop option and make your
backups there :)

But anyways... I'm not sure that those controllers even deal with data in
fs-level.

--
Shachar Or | שחר אור
http://ox.freeallweb.org/