Re: [Debian-User] Debian + non ose virtualBox

Javier Vasquez wrote:
On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 1:20 AM, Nyizsnyik Ferenc <nyizsa@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 20:06:20 -0600
"Javier Vasquez" <jevv.cr@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all,

I installed the non ose virtualBox, and I got a XP image running under
it with bridged ethernet.  However I haven't been able to get USB
working on the guest, neither shared folders...

I've searched with google, and found several suggestions (often about
the permissions of the usbfs devices), and I tried almost everything
unsuccessfully (most suggestions for ubuntu btw), + I also read the
user Manual.  Is there a debian guide to get USB and share directory
working...

Thanks,

Have you installed Virtualbox Guest Additions in the guest OS (win xp)?

--
Nyizsa.

Yes I did.  I can see in the devices tab of virtualbox the usb
devices, but they're always grayed...  I also included filters
(automatically picked BTW by virtualbox), but that doesn't help a
thing.  And for the shared folders, I see in the shared folders tab as
well the directory, but when I go in the guest to the network places,
and go into VirtualBox shared folders, there's nothing...  I'm not
sure if there's something that needs explicetely to be done, but if
there is, I just can't find it, :(...

Thanks,

I had a similar problem and google led me to the same conclusions re usbfs without much luck. Debian seems to mount usbfs as standard (check with #mount).

The solution for me was the Guest Additions was not installed in the Guest OS. So just to make sure have you checked to see if the icon is displayed in the taskbar in the guest OS. Can you seamlessly use your mouse in the guest display or do you have to click r-ctrl? Sorry to repeat the same advice as previous poster but this really was the solution for me!

HTH

Wackojacko