Re: Aptitude oddity

El dom, 10-08-2008 a las 07:35 +0100, Bob Cox escribió:
> On Sat, Aug 09, 2008 at 16:41:40 -0700, Daniel Burrows (dburrows@debian.org) wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Aug 09, 2008 at 10:56:22AM -0700, Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org> was heard to say:
> > >   No, it'll spew large amounts of debugging information to your
> > > terminal which you can then paste into a mail to me. :-)
> >
> >   Aha.  The aptitude resolver isn't touching those packages at all, but
> > think maybe I see what *is* happening.  The code that I wrote to use the
> > apt resolver as a fallback option is accidentally resetting every hold
> > state in the database.  Does this patch help?
>
> [snip patch]
>
> Sorry Daniel, but this is way out of my depth.  I'm happy to learn, but
> I really do not know what to do with your patch file.
>
> So long as I am careful when I (rarely) attempt to upgrade more than once
> every few days then it should not be a problem.

Come on, the debian people made patching software a children game. These
are the simple steps you should follow:
As root:
aptitude install build-essential fakeroot
apt-get build-dep aptitude

As normal user:
apt-get source aptitude
cd aptitude-(version)
patch -p1 < thepatchhesent.patch
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
cd ..

As root:
dpkg -i *.deb

There, the patched aptitude is already installed and all you have to do
is try to reproduce the bug. Luckily, you won't be able to.

If you want to know more about each command, the man pages are a good
starting point.

--
Gabriel Parrondo
GNU/Linux User #404138

"The only difference between theory and practice is that, in theory,
there's no difference between theory and practice."