Re: New Debian Install Blackscreen

On Sat, Aug 09, 2008 at 01:08:37AM -0500, Mumia W.. wrote:
> On 08/08/2008 09:57 PM, Taahir wrote:
> >I am a fairly new linux user, and have recently installed Debian on its
> >own hard
> >disk in what will eventually become a dual-boot system.  The Windows drive
> >is
> >currently not connected, so that isn't a factor.  My graphics card is an
> >nvidia
> >8800 gts.
> >
> >My problem is that when I start up Debian, I get the initialization
> >screen, which
> >runs fully, and disappears just after GNOME starts up.  I then get what I
> >think
> >is a password-prompt beep from the motherboard, but the monitor remains
> >off,
> >which is how it normally handles being given an incorrect resolution.
> >
> >I can, however, successfully log into the single-user root option that
> >grub gives
> >me, and get a fully functioning terminal.  My question is how to go about
> >setting
> >GNOME into VGA (or some low resolution) through the terminal.
> >
> >Thanks in advance,
> >

> Go into a virtual console by doing Control-Alt-F2 on the keyboard. You
> should get a text mode screen that will allow you to log in. After
> you've logged in, you can edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf to use another driver,
> e.g. "vesa". First copy xorg.conf to a backup file:
>
> cd /etc/X11
> cp xorg.conf xorg.conf.bak
>
> You didn't say what distribution of Debian you're using, but what you do
> to xorg.conf differs with the distribution.

I don't think, that this will work.  I had the same problem and the
only possibility to log in was in the single-user-mode.

If you are running etch, it is possible to configure the graphic
settings with
    dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
I think.
With the more unstable distributions you have to edit the
/etc/X11/xorg.configure.

Nice greetings

Richard