home network problem - router is smarter than me

Hi,

What follows is a very naive question regarding home networking. Any
tips, even a pointer the most appropriate documentation, would be very
helpful.

I'd like to setup my desktop as a backup machine for my laptop. However,
I don't understand how my router works. I can access the router by
browsing to 192.168.2.1, and under the devices I see entries for both
computers, but the hostname and domainname for each is 'unknown'.

When apache is configured to listen to all addresses, I can browse
webpages on the desktop from the laptop by entering the IP address
(192.168.2.11), but not the name (etch.mynetwork). On the desktop I can
ssh to the desktop (ie., ssh to itself) with ssh etch.mynetwork, but I
can't connect from the laptop to the desktop:

tyler-> ssh etch.mynetwork
ssh: etch.mynetwork: Name or service not known
tyler-> ssh 192.168.2.11
ssh: connect to host 192.168.2.11 port 22: Connection refused

I think I have to have something in the hosts file, but since the IP
addresses are dynamically allocated, I don't know what I should do. I
also don't know if there's a problem with the way my router is set, or
why the desktop refuses to connect to the laptop via ssh.

My router is a Siemens Speedstream 6520 and I'm running Lenny on both
machines. Access to the internet is fine for both machines. When my wife
connects to the same router via wireless from her laptop (running XP) it
shows up on the router page, and both the hostname and domainname are
correctly identified.

Thanks for your time,

Tyler

--
Recording a pay-per-view broadcast to watch later will be illegal under
Bill C-61.

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/3049/125/