Re: nVidia binary on 2.6.26 [was: Benefits (and risks) of using Sid]

> Where is the beta?  Stable is at:
> ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86

Browsing to nvidia.com gets you their funky home page, with a bunch
of useless links -- none pointing to driver downloads.  Clicking on
just about anything, you then get pages that have a more useful top
menu, with "Download Drivers" at the upper left.

Clicking on that gets you to the standard download page:
  http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

However, below the "GET DRIVERS BY PRODUCT" box, there is another box
called "OTHER DOWNLOADS & SUPPORT".  The first link there is
"Beta and Archived Drivers":
  http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

Entering your product and OS info into the form gets you a box full
of results, with the stable drivers listed first and the beta drivers
(marked with a red "BETA") listed last.  The driver I'm using is on a
line that reads like this:

Linux 64-bit Display Driver Version 177.13 BETA   177.13   June 17, 2008

I found out, the hard way, not to bookmark such links... because
whenever they alter their website those bookmarks go stale.  I just
learned to find the drivers like a Windows-noob:  point, click, point,
click, etc.

HTH,
Dave W.