RE: Help with iPod touch?

> From: Kent West [mailto:westk@acu.edu]
> Subject: Help with iPod touch?
>
> I've inherited an iPod touch, and am trying to see how well it will
work
> with Debian.
>
> So far, not well.
>
> When I first plugged it in, KDE asked what I wanted to do with it, and
> told it to open a new Konqueror window, and it showed a few
> files/directories, but I was unable to do anything with them; upon
> trying to access the files, either they were empty or reported an
error
> of no longer existing.
>
> After installing two or three iPod-related items (ipod and maybe a
> couple of others; I'm running sid), now when I try to plug it in, the
> KDE window tries to open but then sounds off the glass-breaking sound
of
> an error and complains that the requested device could not be found on
> the USB port.
>
> When I run "ipod --list" (even as sudo), I get "No iPod devices
present".

> Nothing I've tried with Amarok seems to recognize it.
>
> The back of the unit claims to be a model A1213 (8GB); the internal
> "About" screen reports:
>
> Version: 2.0 (5A347)
> Model: MA623LL
>
> Googling hasn't turned up much help for me, so I'm hoping one of you
> folks can help me get it working; I'd hate to have to resort to using
> Mac just to put some audio files on this thing. (Pfft! Proprietary; I
> hate proprietary!)
>
> --
> Kent West     <*)))><
> http://kentwest.blogspot.com

First let me say that I don't have /any/ direct experience doing this. I
just have heard/read conversations about it. With that said...

I am almost 100% certain that the iPod Touch needs to have a jailbreak
done to it for you to be able to use it with Linux. At least the only
person I know of who uses the iPod touch with Linux had to do that
(granted that /was/ a few months ago and that can be a long time in the
Open Source world). After he had done that, it just worked with the
libgpod just like the other iPods (though for a while he could only copy
songs to it via ssh for reasons unknown to me).

I know that there is at least one developer for Rockbox who is working
on it (as of about a month ago anyway), but I can't find any information
on their main site right now beside 'not supported'. So I am guessing it
either doesn't work or is so far alpha that it isn't worth mentioning.

Try Google for more information. If you are not attached to it, you
might be better off selling it and getting something else. Sorry I
couldn't be any more help.

Have fun!
~S~