Re: swappiness of 2.6 kernel

On 2008-08-05 07:27 +0200, Chris Burkhardt wrote:

> Account for Debian group mail wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Has anyone played with the swappiness settings of the 2.6 kernel? It
>> looks like the default is set at 60. I was thinking on this new
>> machine I put together with 4 gigs of ram that I might bump this
>> number up a little, maybe like 80.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>
> I've never experimented, but it seems Andrew Morton sets it at 100:
> http://kerneltrap.org/node/3000

That thread is rather old, but from reading it I'd be attempted to
_reduce_ rather than increase the swappiness.  It's annoying enough that
the disk cache is blown away by watching a DVD movie, but if you
increase swappiness your applications will be swapped out as well,
giving sluggish response when you return to them.

Sven