Re: NFS is working again, but problem not solved.

On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 02:43:06PM +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 14:41:04 +1000, Alex Samad wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 02:27:01AM +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> >> On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 22:15:25 -0400, Andrew Reid wrote:
> >>

> > [snip]
> >
> >> /usr     172.25.1.4(rw,sync,no_root_squash,map_identity)
> >
> > what about map_identity ? you using nis/ldap ?
>
> Not that I'm aware of.  Not unless Debian introduced it without telling
> me.  They don't sound like services I could be using without being aware
> of it, but ... is there an easy way of telling whether they are operating?
just a guess, I was presuming that mapping looks at names not numbers,
if that is the case then a lookup needs to be done.

> Incidentally, while the NFS outage happened, I set up shadow (the NFS
> client above) to serve one of its partitions to another machine on the
> net, and that worked, so it looks as if the problem was specific to april
> as NFS server (or shadow as NFS client).  Now what's different about
> april is:
> 	It's an AMD64 running in 64-bit mode.
> 	It is running etch/stable.  All the others are running lenny.
> 	The partition being shared out is an LLVM partition on RAID1.
> Is it conceivable that the kernel NFS server in etch fails to start up
> without DNS being available to interpret the configuration file, even if
> no domain names appear in it?
>
> If there's any chance of it, I might be able to reproduce the situation
> that obtained on Saturday on by shutting off the DSL modem and serving
> NFS from another machine that's dual-boot etch and lenny.  It that works
> (i.e.failes properly) it will probably be an etch-specific problem, and
> the looming upgrade of our server to lenny will fix the problem.

maybe if you can, either turn on dns logging or run tcpdump -pni
<interface> --port 53 -c 100 (this will capture the first 100 dns
enquiries and see what it is trying to resolve

how does you /etc/hosts.allow look