Errors using debuild for building CPAN package

Trying to install a couple of CPAN modules using dh-make-perl.
I've used wget, and then tar. I descend into the modules directory and go with: debuild. I get:

sh: gcc: command not found
dpkg-architecture: warning: Couldn't determine gcc system type, falling back to default (native compilation)
dpkg-gencontrol: warning: unknown substitution variable ${misc:Depends}
sh: gcc: command not found
dpkg-architecture: warning: Couldn't determine gcc system type, falling back to default (native compilation)
dh_md5sums
dh_builddeb
dpkg-deb: building package `libstring-random-perl' in `../libstring- random-perl_0.22-1_all.deb'.
 dpkg-genchanges
sh: gcc: command not found
dpkg-architecture: warning: Couldn't determine gcc system type, falling back to default (native compilation)
dpkg-genchanges: including full source code in upload
dpkg-buildpackage (debuild emulation): full upload; Debian-native package (full source is included)
Now signing changes and any dsc files...
Could not find a signing program (pgp or gpg)!
debuild: fatal error at line 1155:
running debsign failed

Any tips for a Debian novice?