[Solved] Re: how to close port 113 ident xinetd

On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 6:43 PM, Ansgar Burchardt <ansgar@2008.43-1.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> "Jimmy Wu" <jimmywu013+debian@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I tried doing an nmap scan on myself the other day and found that tcp
>> port 113 was open.  Nmap listed the service as ident.  I am trying to
>> remove this service since I don't think I need it, but I can't figure
>> out how.  I removed the package pidentd, after which nmap reported the
>> port was still open, but changed its service description to "auth?".
>
> Did you restart xinetd after removing pidentd?
>
> Regards,
> Ansgar

Thank you - I restarted xinetd and the port seems to be closed now (at
least according nmap and netstat).  I guess since ident wasn't
mentioned in xinetd.conf, I didn't think to restart it.

Thanks again to everyone who replied,
--
Jimmy Wu
Registered Linux User #454138