oldconfig (was Re: [!] 2.6.26 + vga=791)

On 08/01/08 21:35, David Witbrodt wrote:

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: David Witbrodt <dawitbro@sbcglobal.net>
To: Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com>
Sent: Friday, August 1, 2008 10:34:51 PM
Subject: Re: [!] 2.6.26 + vga=791

[snip]

I use that after I compile my new kernels from source and respond to the
questions presented by 'make oldconfig'.  I keep personal documentation

This is a really important tip. It makes building a new kernel sooo much easier.

on the kernel config settings that are relevant for my machines, and I
have found this diff trick to be the fastest way to incorporate changes
with new kernel versions.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

Scientists are people, too.  IOW, they also "crave power, money,
respect, and influence, and they also fear for their jobs. Each
can be a healthy motivator, but each has the ability to turn a
good scientist into a bad one; and in some cases, they can turn
a good scientist into a charlatan."
http://thefutureofthings.com/book/3/the-bomb-that-never-was.html