Re: Regarding Sarge updates

(cave.dnb2m97pp@aliceadsl.fr) wrote:
> > This is just a comment, as some folks have said that Sarge is a thing of
> > the past, no longer supported, etc.
> >
> > I've just booted my Sarge install to check out deps for a certain
> > package. As usual while booted into a distro, I run apt-get update, and
> > Sarge is obviously still getting updates as an apt-get dist-upgrade shows
> > 85 upgraded packages, and the need to get some 70.2MB of archives.
> >
> > The last time I ran apt-get update, apt-get dist-upgrade, according to my
> > ~/History-files was on 20080109. I can't seriously believe it was that
> > long ago, but time passes rapidly these days.
> >
> > Anyway the thing is that my Sarge still appears to be getting updates,
> > although not the current stable (Etch) install.
>
> Security support for Sarge stopped at the end of March.
>
> http://www.uk.debian.org/News/2008/20080229
>
> --
> Bob Cox.  Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.
> Registered user #445000 with the Linux Counter - http://counter.li.org/

Hi Bob. Thanks for the reply. As I last updated in Jan, it looks like I'm just
getting security updates until they ended at the end of March.

Not sure where to go now. I don't like ditching old, unsupported distros, as
sometimes folks who are still using them ask questions, and it's nice to be
able to boot up Sarge for example, and answer their questions, if possible.

I know that Lenny is going stable soon. What is the name for the new testing
version??

Thanks for your reply.

Nigel.