Re: installing a package from lenny on an etch machine...

On 08/01/2008 12:17 PM, Rick Thomas wrote:
[...]
As you can see, the "doc" package installed OK, but the "server" package needs a later version of some basic C libraries.

I'd rather not upgrade the Etch machine to Lenny right now. And I really don't want to get into running an Etch Machine with Lenny libraries.

So I suspect that what I really need to do is download the "dibbler" source package and recompile it on Etch.

Can anybody tell me how to do that? RTFM is easy if you know what parts to read, so if you can point me to the right parts of the FM, that will be great!

If you already have the appropriate "deb-src" lines in your /etc/apt/sources.list, you can do this:

mkdir ~/dibbler
cd ~/dibbler
apt-get install build-essential
apt-get source dibbler
fakeroot ./dibbler-*/debian/rules binary

That should create a dibbler binary in your home directory. If you need to place the deb-src lines in sources.list first, read "man sources.list" and "man apt-get"

Note, I have no experience with dibber; these are more or less generic instructions for compiling with Debian: http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-system.en.html#s-sourcepkgs