Re: /dev/null > /dev/sdb1 !

Hello Douglas and *,

Am 2008-04-29 22:35:15, schrieb Douglas A. Tutty:
> You may wish to consider an industrial-quality compact flash drive.  The
> CF adapter plugs in just like a drive and the I-Q CF cards come with a 5
> year warranty and testing by OpenBSD-types (who do a lot of embedded
> devices using CF cards) shows that for many uses they are very reliable.

I am using SanDisk Extereme III and bought recently the Extreme IV.

Both in the 4 and 8 GByte variant.  I have put my whole OS on it and  it
seems to be faster then my older PATA drive,  which  should  do  arround
52 MByte/sec.

/tmp is in tmpfs.

/var is put into tmpfs too, but stored on  a  second  CF  card  (1 GByte
SanDisk Ultra IV) to  be  uncompressed  on  boot-up  and  compressed  on
shutdown.

Some directories like /var/cache/apt/archives are excluded and the files
from /var/log are not numbered but dated which make it easy to  back  it
up to another medium whithout lossing the  sequence.  Ok,  if  you  have
place on a fileserver or something like this, you can use "syslog-ng" to
log over your network.

But realy, CF-Cards are the real solution for silent and cold computers.

Oh yes, since my new combinated NFS-, Courier- and PostgreSQL-Server  is
using fiveteen 300 GByte SCSI-Drives for datas, I have put the OS  on  a
CF-Card too and the whole Server is not in my room... (it is  loud  like
an airport even with special silent cases)

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

+49/177/9351947    50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
+33/6/61925193     67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)