Re: HELP - Can't boot - I/O error reading swsusp.image

On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 08:29:31AM -0400, wa9als@gmail.com wrote:
> I did a fresh etch install, then restored some
> mondo backup files using mondorestore.

I do not use mondo; so I ask: are you sure that mondorestore does not
change the partition table? Are you sure that the files you restored are
not responsable for the apparence of swsusp in the boot process?

> that point.  But then I did an update and upgrade, and now I am
> getting the same swsusp error I had before and can't boot!

check in the bootloader prompt the kernel command line. If there is
something related to resuming a suspended session, delete it. Also, boot
in single user mode or even with init=/bin/bash (and then "mount -o
remount,rw /") and purge any package related to swsusp ("apt-cache
search swsusp" gives me only the package uswsusp). If all seems to fail,
boot with a live cd (or the debian installation cd in rescue mode),
mount your disk, chroot where the disc is mounted, purge uswsusp, edit
the boot loader configuration (possibly menu.lst in /boot/grub/, but it
depends upon your boot loader), reinstall the kernel (to recreate the
initrd) and the boot loader

There is absolutely NO need to reinstall once again (unless you have
severely messed up your partition table and filesysetems, or things like
that).