Re: How and where do i remove old kernel images to make space for new ones :o)

On Sat, May 03, 2008 at 12:40:25PM -0700, Mr Smiley wrote:
> I'm doing my daily apt-get update and updating my
> kernal-image is reporting the following.
[snip]
> No space left on device
>

> df -alh says

> /dev/hda5             250M  216M   21M  92% /
[snip]
> /dev/hda6             2.8G  2.4G  234M  92% /usr
> /dev/hda7             1.3G  323M  909M  27% /var
[snip]

> I'm not sure what to delete safely

I'd check to see if you have old versions of the kernel installed.  You
can check with aptitude or just look in /lib.  You should have room for
at least 3 kernels, 2 at a minimum.  You need to have room to update a
kernel to a new version while keeping the old version in case of
problems.  Updating to the same version shouldn't use up any space in
either /lib or /boot.

I suggest that you have the linux-image-2.6-[arch] meta-package
installed, which will depend on the specific most current kernel.  Note
that this doesn't automatically remove old kernels as new ones are
installed.  You have to use aptitude and search for all the kernels and
delete those you don't need.

Doug.