Re: Clearing SWAP

On Thu, 01 May 2008 17:00:38 -0500

> On 05/01/08 16:29, andy wrote:
> > When I double click within Xfce on the /home directory icon, there is a
> > noticeable lag between clicking and a response. What causes this? Must I
>
> Maybe DMA is disabled?
>
> Maybe you've got sooo many files in $HOME that it takes a good long
> time for the XFCE file browser to load them all into it's memory
> list?  I've got some Very Large directories, and it takes a Long
> Time for the GNOME file picker to do it's think.  Went to hell
> around v2.16, I think.

I know that this has been discussed on the list before, but I am really
frustrated with the file picker used by all my Xfce and Gtk
applications.  It takes a number of seconds to open directories,
including ones that are not particularly large,  e.g. a directory which
only contains 58 files and subdirectories takes about five seconds
to open.

> Maybe you've got a 4200RPM laptop drive?

I do, but does that really justify this sluggishness?

> Ron Johnson, Jr.

Celejar