To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2008 6:19 AM
Subject: Re: Virtual Dedicated Server based on Debian Etch

On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 09:04:30PM +0100, Simon Jolle sjolle wrote:

Hi Debian Users

I am searching for a virtual server/rootserver. I prefer a Xen instance,
but also vservers are acceptable. Will be host a small Wiki - nothing
mission critical.

Here my criteria

- - about 20 $ monthly
- - payable with Credit Card or PayPal
- - about 12 GB diskspace
- - about 256 MB RAM
- - about 350 GB monthly data transfer

For 20$ a month you're not likely to

Hint: check the address from which this is written. I'm generally
satisfied. But

- - Console
- - IP address
- - about 6 subdomains
- - Debian Etch OS
- - unlimited fresh installations
- - web based support

Do you want to managed setup? If so, you'll have some limitations.
If not, then you have unlimited domains, unlimited fresh installations,
and such.

I would not go for something that does not provide a remote console via
ssh or something equivalent. I use an unmanaged setup. The current
provider, as well as a number of others, orivides a very basic web-based
control panel that provides actions such as reinstallations of the
system from a pre-made image and reboot.

Debian Etch is a common guest platform. You shouldn'tr have a problem
finding providers that offer it. If you see a provider that still provides
Sarge and not Etch - you should probably stay away from them. A few
monthes ago I still saw a number of those.

Some useful keywords:

 vps
 linux xen hosting
 (if they offer linux, chances are they'll offer Debian. But the name
 Debian is much less common on the fetures list)